The overall objective of this project is to contribute to the development and consolidation of human rights and fundamental freedoms in Turkey through supporting academics and civil society actors as actors of the struggle for human rights.
The three specific objectives are:
1. Protecting and empowering academics who are facing judicial and administrative harassment and pressures due to their work and statements as human rights defenders
2. Supporting and facilitating academics’ work and strengthening their capacity in the struggle for human rights within a network of civil society actors.
3. Increasing the capacity of civil society actors to fight against human rights violations with a holistic and integrative approach, through collaboration with academics.
The estimated results are:
1. Empowerment of academics, who are under risk due to their works and statements as human rights defenders
2. Better informed public opinion about human rights violations and academic freedom
3. Increased capacity and involvement of academics in the struggle for human rights
4. Improved capacity of human rights organizations to operate with a holistic and integrative approach
5. Effective documentation, monitoring and reporting of human rights violations that academics are facing
6. Effective documentation, monitoring and reporting of the destruction of the institutional academic environment in Turkey
7. Improved conditions for academic work in the field of human rights
8. Increased collaboration and cooperation between human rights actors and academics within a civil society network.