The overall objective of this project is to contribute to the elimination of torture and other forms of ill-treatment through fighting impunity for torture in the Eastern and South-eastern regions of Turkey, mainly Van and Diyarbakır.
Specific objectives are:
1. To contribute to ensuring accountability for torture and other forms of ill-treatment
2. To increase effective documentation and investigation of torture and other forms of ill-treatment
3. To enhance the evidentiary basis for torture survivors’ claims and the prosecution of perpetrators through documentation
4. Improvement of legal frameworks for documentation and investigation of torture and other forms of ill-treatment in line with the Istanbul Protocol (“IP”).
Estimated Results were:
1. Increased awareness and knowledge about documentation and investigation of torture and corresponding international standards, resulting in the production of more high-quality medical evaluation report
2. Increased application of the IP in Turkey as a standard to enhance investigations and documentation
3. Leading source of knowledge on the generation and use of appropriate documentation in legal proceedings,
4. Increased interest and awareness among relevant state authorities about the value of and need for the application of IP
5. Increased number of requests for information and independent medical evaluation reports from courts and legal and health professionals, which has been met with appropriate documentation.