1-2 October 2015 HRFT Daily Human Rights Report

1-2 October 2015 Daily Human Rights Report

(10/001) Persons Killed by the Police in …

Special Forces conducted operations on 1 October 2015 in Dicle and Yeşilyurt quarters of Şırnak. The quarters were besieged by the security forces and entrance to the quarters were prevented. 10 persons were wounded when security forces opened fire, Abdülhamit İnal and another person died in the hospital.

(10/002) Operations and Attacks in the Southeast…

Governorate of Mardin declared curfew starting from 1 October 2015 in 4 quarters/villages of Nusaybin district in Mardin.

After the decision of curfew, one soldier and one militant died, 5 soldiers were wounded during an armed clash in the rural area. Governorate announced continuation of the curfew on the grounds of on-going operations in the regions.

2 soldiers were shot to death on 1 October 2015 in Silvan district of Diyarbakır when they were on their way from home to his military unit. After the attack, curfew was declared in the district on 2 October 2015.

A police chief was wounded when police houses in Savur district of Mardin was attacked with a rocket launcher on 1 October 2015.

On 1 October 2015, one soldier died and one soldier was wounded when a bomb exploded during the passage of a military vehicle in the rural area of Beytüşşebap district in Şırnak.

Security forces conducted operations on 1 October 2015 nearby Tepedam quarter/village of Özalp district in Van and 2 militants were reportedly killed. 2 civilians were heavily wounded during the operations and S.E. (14) was reportedly shot at leg.

Police officer Emre Akbaş (22) who was wounded during an attack against a police vehicle in Cizre district of Şırnak died on 1 October 2015 in the hospital in Ankara.

(10/003) Uğur Kurt Case…

Çağlayan (İstanbul) Heavy Penal Court No 14 continued on 1 October 2015 to hear the case against the police officer Sezgin Korkmaz launched for killing Uğur Kurt in Şişli district of İstanbul.

The indictment wants the defendant to be sentenced to a term of imprisonment up to 25 years for “possible intentional killing”. After the testimony of the defendant and presentation of the lawyers, the court rejected the arrest of the defendant and adjourned the hearing to 3 December 2015.

On 22 May 2014, the police intervened a group of protesters in Okmeydanı quarter of Şişli district in İstanbul. Uğur Kurt who was in the garden of Djemevi for a funeral was shot at his throat during the intervention. He was hospitalised, but died in the hospital in the evening. The Forensic Institute issued a report certifying that the bullet which killed Uğur Kurt was fired from the weapon of the police officer Sezgin Korkmaz who was in charge at Anti-Terror branch.

(10/004) Journalist Attacked in İstanbul…

Ahmet Hakan, columnist with the daily Hürriyet and host of a TV show on CNNTurk, was attacked by 4 persons on 1 October 2015 in front of his house in İstanbul. He was hospitalised after the incident. Uğur Adıyaman, Fuat Elmas, Kamuran Ergin, and Ahmet Şengüler who organised the attack were detained.

According to the recordings of the security cameras, the attackers chased Ahmet Hakan from the TV channel to his house before attacking him.

(10/005) Persons Convicted for Funeral…

According to the news appeared in the press on 1 October 2015, Tunceli Heavy Penal Court concluded to hear the case against 4 persons launched for taking part in the funeral of İbiş Koç who died in an armed clash in Rojava and carrying the coffin.

After the final defence, the court sentenced the defendants to one year’s imprisonment under the Article 7/2 of Anti-Terror Law. The indictment wanted the defendants to be sentenced for “making propaganda of an illegal organisation”.

(10/006) Persons Convicted in Van…

According to the news appeared in the press on 1 October 2015, Erciş (Van) Heavy Penal Court concluded to hear the case against İshak Yılmaz and Erdal Bütün launched for sharing a photo of a PKK militant who died in an armed clash.

The court sentenced İshak Yılmaz to 2 years and 3 months’ imprisonment and Erdal Bütün to 1 year and 10 months’ imprisonment. The court released the defendants. The indictment wanted the defendants to be sentenced for “making propaganda of an illegal organisation by means of social media”.

(10/007) Gezi Park Trials…

Ankara Heavy Penal Court No 12 continued on 1 October 2015 to hear the case against 26 persons launched in connection with the Gezi Park demonstrations in Ankara. The indictment wants the defendants to be sentenced for “being member of an illegal organisation, “making propaganda of an illegal organisation”, “resisting security forces”, “damaging public property”, and “violating the Law on Meetings and Demonstrations”.

After the testimonies of the present defendants and complainants, the court adjourned the hearing to 2 December 2015 for the completion of deficient documents.

(10/008) Protesters Intervened…

On 1 October 2015, the police conducted an operation against a group of persons who were resisting against the destruction of the public park Albatros in Büyükçekmece district of İstanbul and detained 4 persons. The police also detained 14 persons who gathered in the park after the operation. There was a demolition decision for the park and people were guarding the park for the last one month.

(10/009) Operations throughout Turkey…

Şehriban Altınışık who was detained during operations in Nusaybin district of Mardin was arrested on 1 October 2015 on the allegations of “being member of an illegal organisation”.

Şehriban Altınışık reportedly subjected to torture in police custody and one of his arms was broken.

17 executives of Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) and Democratic Regions Party (DBP) were detained on 1 October 2015 when they went to Bagok Mountain region of Nusaybin district in Mardin as human shield to stop the armed clashes in the region.

Erol Gül and Abdullah Boğa who were among 4 persons detained during operations on 1 October 2015 in Halfeti district of Şanlıurfa were arrested same day on the allegations of “making propaganda of an illegal organisation” with the messages their shared on the internet.

The police conducted house raids on 2 October 2015 against the house of HDP executives and members in several district of İstanbul. 39 persons including Hicran Urun, editor with the daily Özgür Gündem, were detained during the operations.